There are 6 things you need to do when employing staff for the first time:
- Register as an employer with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) – you can do this up to 4 weeks before paying your staff.
- Get employers’ liability insurance as soon as your become an employer.
- Check if someone has the legal right to work in the UK. You may need to carry out other employment checks as well.
- Apply for a DBS check (Disclosure Barring Services Check) if you work in a field that requires one, eg with children, vulnerable people, etc.
- Decide how much to pay someone – you must pay your employee at least the National Minimum Wage, dependent on the age of the employee.
- Send the job description, including terms and conditions, in writing to your employee. You also need to send a written contract of employment to your employee too.
Guidance and support for the above can be found on HM Revenue & Customs website: